Thursday, July 27, 2006

Bummin'

Ok, I feel a little out of the loop because apparently this happened a week ago, but UGA basketball player Kevin Brophy was killed in a car accident. I didn't know him personally, so I can't exactly claim to be devastated by the news. But I'm still more upset than most people would think I should be. Being in the band, I had to attend each home game for the men's team when I otherwise wouldn't have. (I mean, let's be honest. We weren't very good.) In doing so, I started to feel like I knew the players in a way. Brophy wasn't a first stringer (as I recall) and he certainly wasn’t one of our bigger players (though he did have a pretty mean three-point shot), but he always played hard and seemed to really enjoy playing. And that earns my respect.

More importantly, he was by all accounts just a decent human being. It’s always tragic when a young life is ended, particularly when it’s so unexpected. But it seems to me to be somehow even more tragic when that young life meant so much to so many people. I’m trying my best not to be sappy and overdramatic because like I said I didn’t know him personally. But it still upsets me. And that’s all I feel qualified to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home