Sunday, May 15, 2005

And another thing...

I've been talking a lot about immigration lately, and I really don't mean to beat a dead horse, but this is exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about.

So this guy named Raul Garcia-Gomez was at a baptismal party for his daughter, and for whatever reason he leaves the party, and again, for whatever reason, the two off-duty policemen that were working security for the party don't allow him back in. How does Garcia-Gomez react? Well, by shooting the two policemen, of course -- wounding one and killing the other.

To me, this raises several important questions like 1. Who needs security at a baptismal party? and 2. What kind of father brings a gun to his daughter's baptismal party? and 3. What the hell is a baptismal party?

Oh, and Garcia-Gomez was an illegal immigrant. Shocking, isn't it?

And here's the best part (I'm in a rather irritated, sarcastic mood tonight) -- Garcia-Gomez has likely fled to Mexico, where laws prevent criminals from being extradited to the United States when they have the possibility of facing the death penalty or life in prison. So, in all likelihood, this absolutely worthless human being is going to get away with this horrific crime. A woman has lost a husband, and two children have lost a father. Killed by a man who, had our immigration laws been enforced, would not have been in this country in the first place.

Sadly, this is not a new phenomenon. There is a growing list of Americans that are victims of violent crimes committed by illegal aliens.

I like to think of myself as a reasonable person, but hearing news like this makes me genuinely angry. I find myself feeling a growing disdain for illegal immigrants. Up until very recently, I thought people that got all riled up about illegal immigration were over reacting, and people like Bill O'Reilly who wanted to militarize our Southern border were out of their minds. But, not so much anymore. Not when innocent people are dying at the hands of people who have no business being here in the first place. I realize people get killed by U.S. citizens every day, too...but in the interest of prevention, shouldn't our government do its job to ensure that illegal immigrants don't have the opportunity to commit a crime?

It's time our government took serious action to prevent the flood of illegal immigrants from spilling over our borders. I don't claim to have the perfect solution, nor do I believe that we should close our borders to everyone. However, I do know that what we're doing now isn't working, and I believe that we should do what every other rational country does and enact immigration laws that allow the 'good' in and keep the 'bad' out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home