Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Hey, aren't you married to what's-his-face?

Many people are upset about the things Gwene+h Pa|trow recently said about Americans. For those unaware, she essentially (and by that I mean 'directly') said that we are less civilized and less intelligent than our English brethren.

I don't see the big deal. If I got upset about every American celebrity that spoke ill of America, I wouldn't have any time to get upset about the Foreign celebrities that speak ill of America. Not really, but you get my point. Unless you're uncivilized and stupid.

People, and even celebrities, will always find something to harp on about America. Why? Because in a country of 300+ million people, we've probably got someone you can hate. Ignoring for the moment that it is the very same 'uncivilized' and 'unintelligent' populous that allows Ms. Pa|trow to live the life that she does, if she has disdain for such people there are certainly plenty in America. There are also, however, plenty of exceedingly brilliant Americans that would take exception to the actress' characterization.

America is a one-stop-shop for stuff that pisses people off. If, like most of Europe, you hold disdain for prudish religious types, America was founded by them. If, like Islamic extremists, you have a homicidal rage for secularists with licentious morals, there are plenty of those in America as well. Hate war-mongering conservatives? Hate tree-hugging liberals? Hate black people? Jews? Country music? You'll find plenty of all of it in America. It comes with the territory of being a 'melting pot.'

Personally, I find it a bit unintelligent to over-generalize a nation as large and diverse as America. But maybe that's just me.

I've heard several people saying that they plan to boycott Pa|trow's movies. I was all in favor of that until I realized that I had, in fact, never paid to see one of her movies in the first place. (Incidentally, I had a similar realization when people vowed never to buy another Dixie Chicks album.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home