Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Initial reactions

Obviously not a good night for Republicans. Pretty much what I expected, though admittedly slightly worse. All of the votes haven't been counted, but as it stands now, Democrats will end up with a decent majority in the House and at least tie in the Senate, or maybe even get a one-seat majority.

But, liberal celebrations and conservative depression, I think, is slightly unwarranted. In the Senate, the new Democrats aren't much different from the Republicans they replaced. In Rhode Island, Whi+ehouse replaces an anti-war, anti-tax cut, pro-abortion Republican. In Pennsylvania, they're getting an anti-abortion, anti-gun control, anti-gay marriage Democrat to replace their anti-abortion, anti-gun control, anti-gay marriage Republican.

So, I really don't see much changing after the election. Granted, it's only a few hours removed, so that can certainly change. But I don't see much getting done in the next two years. I also think the Democrats now have ample opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot for 2008.

I do hope, however, that Republicans get the message and cut the crap. Go back to 1994 and do what you were elected to do. But I'm not betting on it.

I'm going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home