Sunday, October 15, 2006

You can't win 'em all (trust me on this one)

Wow. Just wow. I wish that was all I could say, but brevity never has been my strong suit, so allow me to elaborate.

I never really had high hopes for the Georgi@ football team this year. We just couldn't seem to get it together. We kept barely squeaking by against opponents we should've been absolutely destroying. It was only a matter of time before it caught up with us. It just so happened that it caught up with us against Tennessee.

I also think we had a serious lack of confidence which lead to some, shall we say, uninspired performances. I think the loss to V@nderbilt will only compound this. I hate to say I've already written of our season, but at this point we're only playing for pride and I don't really like our chances. Granted, with our luck we'll win out, beat Florida and Auburn, and it won't matter because of the loss to Vandy. Though I have to say, if we keep playing like we have been, we'll be lucky to win two more games. I really hate to say things like that, and I'm probably committing some sort of blasphemy, but that's how I see it.

I will say that I don't think the blame for our failures can fall at the feet of one person. There's been a recent swell in ridership on the "Fire Wi||ie Martinez" band wagon, but I haven't yet bought my ticket. As I see it, our main weakness on defense is our safety corps. Our pass rushers are great, our linebackers and corners get the job done, but our safeties are young and inexperienced, and have a tendency to get burned. They just can't stop passes yet.

We also aren't clicking on offense, but that'll come in time as well. The problem we have there is the quarterback(s) with the most talent don't have the experience, and the quarterback with the most experience doesn't have the talent. This will hopefully be resolved next year.

In the meantime, I'm considering this a "rebuilding year." We're officially pulling a Tennessee 2005 -- starting the season in the Top 10 and just absolutely tanking.

Personally, I can't be too upset. We've played in three of the last four SEC championship games and won two of them. We've come within two points of a national championship. We've gone a combined 44-8 in that span. It's hard to keep that up year after year.

So I say we cut the Dawgs a little slack this year. I mean, we can't win all the time. This is the SEC. A real football conference.

All that said, however, if we suck like this next year I'll start getting annoyed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

FYI, I just posted about the reactions of some of our fans to the Vandy loss. It absolutely is not directed at you or your entry. Hope you're doing well.

6:27 PM  
Blogger That guy said...

I probably wouldn't have thought as such, but thanks for the clarification.

From what I can tell, we totally agree. I'm certainly not calling for the heads of any coaches. I have never and will never boo our team or coaching staff and also have a certain disdain for those that do. The only thing I have reservations about it our team's ability to play with enthusiasm for the rest of the season when our chances to make it to a championship game are so dependent on other teams.

Aside from that, I'm completely willing to put our "disappointing season" into context. I'll still root for the Dawgs no matter what their record. I'd root for an 0-9 Dawgs team before I'd ever root for an undefeated Florida, Tennessee or, God forbid, Tech team.

And for the record, my Super G plate has been shattered ever since a semi infront of me lost a tire tread that found its way into my front bumber. I will only change it when I get a new car and have to actually put a DC plate on the front. (They require both front and back plates up here. Freedom-hating bastards.)

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.addictingclips.com/Content.aspx?key=9B06A4A1CAD4EDC6

That game made me think of you, so I just thought I'd leave the link for you.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

You're a UGA sports fan, correct? Fans, true fans, are in it for the team, not the victories. So I don't see why you should have to explain your loyalty at all. In fact, it kinda bugs me.

Just represent. If people don't understand, screw 'em.

12:31 AM  
Blogger That guy said...

You're not getting the context. That kinda bugs me. The post was in response to a section of our fans that are getting all bent out of shape because we're not having a great season.

The comment was a response to yet another post in response to a section of our fans getting bent of shape over the aforementioned non-great season.

I wasn't explaining my loyalty, just contributing to an on-going discussion.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Thank you for the clarification.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home