Sunday, October 08, 2006

Breaking news: The world is going to hell

Not that any of you come to me for breaking news, but I get some weird joy out of doing stuff like this.

So the North Koreans are claiming they tested a nuclear weapon. As it stands now, I'm not sure I buy it. Here's why:

- The U.S. Geological Society is saying they haven't detected any seismic activity on the Korean Penninsula in the last 48 hours. As you might imagine, detonating a nuclear bomb underground tends to make seismographs wiggle a little bit. There are no reports of such wiggling.

- The North Koreans are claiming that no radiation leaked from the site. Riiiight. Nuclear bombs are designed to release radiation. That's their whole purpose. The fact that no radiation was released from the site seems a little fishy to me.

- The North Koreans aren't plastering video of the test all over the place. If they're so proud of this, as they say they are, I would think they'd be breathlessly parading out the proof. Since they aren't, I'm a little suspicious.

- No one can confirm the test as of yet. The only source we have that's saying the test went forward is the North Koreans. Normally things like this would race around the world. The longer this takes to confirm, the less likely it is to be true.

More on this as it happens, but those are just my initial reactions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home