Monday, June 13, 2005

Reflections on the Jacko verdict

Wow. People never cease to amaze me. First of all, let me say that I never really had anything vested in the outcome of this trial. Michael Jackson is a nutjob, and I'd never let my kids anywhere within 50 feet of him. That being said, he very well could be a child molester. However, in the American justice system, there's a thing called reasonable doubt. A jury can't (or at least shouldn't) take away a man's freedom unless there is no question, within reason, that he is guilty of the crime. In this case, there's reasonable doubt all over the place. There were no witnesses, and the accuser was not the most credible. I can't really argue the verdict. I very well might've reached the same conclusion.

What I can't believe is some people's reaction to the verdict. Fans were outside the court house hugging each other and crying, and one lady was releasing doves as each 'not guilty' count was read. What the hell? Is it really THAT big of a deal? Geez. I think it's slightly unhealthy to be that attached to an entertainer that you would cry at his criminal trial after rabidly supporting him, so much so that you spent everyday of the trial at the courthouse for the 30 total seconds that he was either arriving or leaving. That whole thing just blows my mind. What a bunch of weirdos. Then again, it IS Michael Jackson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home