Thursday, June 09, 2005

Does this mean I get a promotion?

So it's my first week on the job, and all of a sudden we've had a bombshell in the newsroom. My boss was here Monday, but not on Tuesday. On Tuesday, our managing editor said he was 'off chasing a lead'. I thought it was rather odd for an Editorial Page editor to be chasing a lead, as we don't really 'report' news. We just say why it sucks. At any rate...we come to find out that afternoon that he won't be in for the rest of the week. Again, I found that slightly odd, as he left no explanation as to why.

Fast forward to today. After a pleasant trip in the morning to the DMV (nothing really worth mentioning, just exceedingly boring and ultimately pointless), I come into work to 'We have some news for you...' Thinking maybe they want me to write more, give me more money, or something else I'd be happy about (always the optimist), the following sentence was '[your boss] has decided to pursue other opportunities.'

Well then.

I really have no details as to why he just up and left, but I'm assuming he got some sweet job offer that he just couldn't turn down. Later in the day, I noticed a one-line memo in the breakroom that said something along the lines of '[My boss] has decided to resign. We want to thank him for his service.'

The people that have been here for a while (well, longer than a day, anyway) and had actually worked with him seemed understandably shocked and kind of in a 'holy-crap-what-are-we-going-to-do-now' mentality. However, having only met the man twice and talking with him on the phone as many times, I have no emotional attachment nor understanding of what his departure means. So I suppose it's all the same to me. Plus I get more responsibility in order to help take up the slack. I'm just curious as to who's going to take his place, and in the meantime, who's going to answer my questions.

He seemed like a decent guy though. I hope they don't hire some tool to fill in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home