Monday, February 07, 2005

Time to get over yourself, Spike

I'm taking this cultural geography class as my last elective before I graduate, and it deals with stuff like race and racism. As a product of this, we're watching 'Do The Right Thing', a Spike Lee 'joint', as it were. It puts me in a bad mood. The basic premise of the movie is that heat makes people racist, more specifically, heat makes people hate black people. But that's not even what puts me in a bad mood. I'm mostly irritated at Spike Lee's narcissism. Not only did he write, direct and produce this movie, but he's the main friggin' character. It wouldn't bother me if he could, I dunno, act or something. But he's just annoying. The gall he has to cast himself into his own movie, as the main character no less, just grates on me for some reason.

There was a lot of controversy after the movie came out because it didn't get any Oscar nominations. Well Spike, your movie just isn't that good. The dialogue is something you'd find in a low budget broadway play (or off-broadway, whichever's worse), there's no cinematic breakthroughs, the acting isn't that good, and like I said, the main premise is that heat makes people racist. Brilliant.

I also a problem with the fact that he named his production company '40 Acres and a Mule' productions. For someone who's still pissed off about slavery, he sure does bring it up a lot. I wonder if he'd trade his millions of dollars for 40 acres and a mule. Probably not. I wonder if he realizes that without slavery he'd still be eating bugs in Zambia. Probably not. I wonder if he gets as mad at his black ancestors for selling his relatives into slavery as he does white people because some of their ancestors bought them. Probably not. But hey...who am I to judge?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home