Monday, February 07, 2005

Super Bowl reflections

All that hype and build-up all year long, and it's over in 4 hours. Kinda like Christmas, though I wouldn't really know. That's what people tell me. Anyway.

The actual game was a lot better than I expected. I expected New England to win, but I didn't expect Philadelphia to put up such a good fight. I must begrudgingly admit that Terrell Owens played well, as much as I hate him. But we saw how much Donovan McNabb can suck. One play, he makes an amazing thread-the-needle pass for a touch down, but then on the next series he puts up this wobbly, wounded duck pass for an interception. But no one really cares about that. The Patriots won, whoohoo, moving on.

What's the main reason everyone watches the Super Bowl? The hilarious commercials. However, this year, funny commercials seemed to be noticeably absent. I mean seriously. Is it just me or did the commercials this year really suck?

They showed the mustang convertible commercial with the frozen guy at least 3 times. It wasn't all that funny to begin with, and it got exponentially less funny every time they showed it. There were a ton of car commercials, none of which were entertaining. The funniest commercials were from an investment firm. One where a guy walks into a gas station and the owners think they're being robbed so they beat the crap out of him and shock him with a tazer. The other one was where the cat got into the spaghetti sauce, and the guy was trying to pick it up when his wife walks in to see him holding a red, dripping wet cat and a butcher knife.

My favorite commercial wasn't really 'advertising' anything. It was paid for by Anheuser Busch, but it was just a thank you to the troops. A bunch of soldiers were walking through an airport to the applause of the people in the concourse. I thought it was rather nice. But other than that, the commercials sucked and I was disappointed.

After the game there was an odd Simpsons episode. The social commentary was a little incoherent. It seemed to be commenting on spoiled athletes, Mel Gibson, bad halftime shows and America's fear of religion in public all at the same time. I think they were trying way too hard to be profound. It didn't really work for them. But my favorite line was from Ned Flanders when he said 'I made a good movie, but I'm having a hard time getting it out. I guess I'm kinda like Michael Moore, except I'm skinny, my clothes look nice and God loves me.' That very well might be the funniest line on the Simpsons ever.

Anyway. Just some random babble for you to think about. If you like, you can give me your opinion for best super bowl commercial (this year or otherwise) or favorite Simpsons line, if you have one. At any rate I'm going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home