Friday, February 04, 2005

For what it's worth

It's been 5 days since Iraqis went to the polls since...well, ever. Looking at Michael Moore's website, you would never know anything ever happened. He does, however, have an up-to-the-minute death and wounded counter.

I just find it odd that he's so obsessed with the bad that goes on in the war but never seems to look up and see the good we're doing. But hey maybe that's just me.

I see God-given freedom being extended to parts of the world that has never before known it. I see the boiling cauldron of American hatred slowly cooling. I see a possible threat to our safety and the safety of our allies that has been removed. Michael Moore apparently sees imperialism, greed, and a war for oil. I guess that's his prerogative. It helps him sell books and movies.

But when I hear of an American soldier dying, I don't see that as just some little tally mark on a list. I see a person far braver than I honorably serving their country and a cause far greater than themselves.

Sometimes I feel like the American people as a whole have gotten too complacent and a little soft-spined when it comes to dealing with national hardship. We lost over 400,000 people in WWII, but the American people persevered and became known as the 'Greatest Generation'. Then in Vietnam we lost roughly 1/7 of what we lost in WWII, we lost our nerve, the media softened our backbone, and ultimately we lost the war.

Now in Iraq, we've lost about 1/41 of what we lost in Vietnam (Or 1/293 of what we lost in WWII for those of you scoring at home...) and people are clamoring for us to pull out of Iraq immediately. Has America gradually become a bunch of sissies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home