Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thank you, Mr. Buckley

I was in Germany when I learned that Ronald Reagan had died. Having been born midway through his first term, I never "experienced" Reagan first-hand. I have a smattering of memories of seeing him on television, along with a memory of my grandparents' neighbor saying "Reagan's speech last night was a damn classic." Due, however, to the soulless ravages of Alzheimer's disease, he left public life well before I could have appreciated him.

Having not been old enough to understand President Reagan in his own time, I was left to rely on second-hand stories, transcribed speeches, and later, his autobiography. This led to the creation in my own mind of a larger-than-life, legendary, almost mythical figure. Thus, when I learned via CNN International that he had passed, it was as if I had lost a third grandfather. It was not surprising by any means, but still carried the same sadness and finality -- it starkly marked the end of an era.

A similar event happened yesterday. William F. Buckley, by all accounts the Father of Modern Conservatism, died. He was found at his desk, presumably doing what he loved. It, too, starkly marks the end of an era. Few people outside the realm of conservative politics know Bill Buckley's name, but all people -- whether they know it -- are aware of his influence. Buckley's stated goal with he founded National Review was to "stand athwart history, yelling Stop, at a time when no one is inclined to do so, or to have much patience with those who so urge it." Though there is still little patience for those standing athwart history, there are many more -- millions, I would guess -- people willing to do so. Such is Buckley's legacy. As George Will said: "Before Reagan there was Goldwater. Before Goldwater, there was National Review. And before National Review, there was Bill Buckley."

On a more personal note, Mr. Buckley is a major influence of mine. He was one of the reasons I got into journalism -- particularly conservative journalism -- in the first place. His calm demeanor, his stingingly acute wit and his prodigious vocabulary are all things to which I -- quite poorly -- aspire. The way he could calmly and civilly yet forcefully and utterly dismantle a political opponent is something I can only hope to attain, as well as something I believe is sorely lacking in today's political discourse.

Bill O'Reilly's red-faced confrontations, Sean Hannity's inelegant arguments, even Rush Limbaugh's most intellectual orations appear boorish by comparison. To borrow a term from Rush, Mr. Buckley makes all of his successors look like "rank amateurs."

I never had the pleasure to meet the man personally, but he is universally regarded -- even by those with whom he adamantly disagreed -- as a class act and genuinely decent person. Again, something sorely lacking in today's political climate. Our country, and indeed the world, is vastly different due to William F. Buckley, Jr. having lived. It is all the more dull and vapid without him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home