Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This is what some people call freedom?

As you may or may not be aware, today was the 35th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that made abortion available across the country. D.C., as you might imagine, was abuzz with protests both for and against the decision. The biggest demonstration by far, however, was the March for Life. It was easily the largest demonstration I've ever seen while in DC. Conveniently, the march route went directly in front of my office, so I was able to watch out the window (and the roof, for a while) as they marched by for -- get this -- an hour and a half. Bet you won't hear that on the news.

Meanwhile, I was perusing the internet when I came across this curious icon:



The euphemism here is striking. "35 Years of Freedom." Freedom to do what? Let's not pretend it's anything other than what it is -- the "freedom" to puncture the skull of a fetus and vacuum out its brain. The Founding Fathers would be so proud.

Growing up where I did, many people would euphemize the Civil War by saying that it was about states' rights. That argument may have some validity to it at its most basic level, but in the end, what "right" are they talking about?

The same can be said for the abortion debate. "Pro-choice?" Again, let's not pretend that the "choice" involved is anything other than choosing to have an abortion. Calling that a "freedom," I believe, is wildly misnomered. While I suppose women are currently and technically "free" to have abortions, it is a grotesque expression of freedom. Some people express freedom by holding demonstrations, voting, or blogging. Some people, meanwhile, apparently express freedom by dismembering fetuses they aim to prevent from being born. I apologize for the graphic description, but that's essentially what it is.

A freedom? Nominally, I suppose. It's just tragic that that's what so many people choose to do with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home