Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Meanwhile, downstairs in a District drinking establishment...

With softball season wrapped up, the interns returned to their respective schools, and my family safely returned home from the District, my life has entered a much-needed lull in which I can be left alone with my own thoughts.

There's one issue in particular I've been wanting to mention, but until now haven't had enough consecutive free time to do so. So here goes.

After a recent softball excursion, my teammates and I had gathered at our usual bar -- as we often do -- but in a slightly unusual turn of events, the conversation between one particular teammate and I turned to politics. This particular topic had been heretofore avoided, as both she and I knew that we stood diametrically opposed on the political spectrum. But, having partaken in my fair share of libations, I was much more willing to engage in the debate.

I don't precisely recall how, but we ended up on the subject of the Democr@t would-be presidential candidates.

"Why don't you like B@rack Obam@?" she asked.

"Because he's totally unqualified. He's a first-term Senator, former state senator, and former lawyer. He has precisely zero relevant executive experience. And, long story short, he's not ready for Prime Time and he can't hack it."

She stared at me for a moment, seemingly stunned, as if she had expected me to simply say "Because he's a no-good nigger."

Once she collected her thoughts, she answered with "Oh. Well...that's perfectly reasonable. What about Hi||ary?"

"First and foremost, if she wasn't married to Bill, who would she be? If her last name had stayed Rodh@m instead of C|inton, why would anyone even be considering her for president?"

Thinking she had an opportunity to gain the upper hand in the argument, she countered with "Who would George |3ush be if not for his father?"

"I think that logic illustrates my point better than it does yours, unless you're willing to admit that President |3ush would be an independently viable candidate without the benefit of his father, which I don't think you are." I said.

The conversation didn't end there, but for the purpose of this post, that's all that needed to be said. The main issue is that neither of the top two Democr@t presidentia| hopefuls -- I would even argue that none of the top three -- are qualified for the job. Sadly enough, the most qualified Democrat for the job -- Bill Rich@rdson -- is polling somewhere between Dennis Kucinich and Joe Biden.

Granted, Obam@ is quite a charismatic speaker, but we've tried the charismatic, former state senator before -- with less than desirable results. As for Hillary, the best thing she has going for her is a convenient last name. I defy any of her supporters to point to one significant legislative accomplishment of hers.

It's rather disingenuous to dismiss the Senators' detractors as either sexist or racist. There are plenty of minorities and women that are perfectly qualified to be president -- perhaps even a minority woman. It has nothing to do with sex or race. It has everything to do with experience and ability -- two things the top tier Democrats are sorely lacking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home