Sunday, June 03, 2007

Day 730

Today is somewhat of an anniversary for me. It was two years ago tonight that I spent my first night in this apartment -- and by extension, D.C.

I feel like I've lost all concept of time because it in no way feels like it's been that long.

I wish I had a profound list of things I've learned or ways I've changed, but I just can't really think of any right now. But I'm sure they're there. Like that W@llflowers song -- I feel just like somebody else / When I ain't changed / But I know I ain't the same.

I didn't really have any expectations when I moved here, so I can't say whether things turned out how I expected. Although I will say that I didn't expect to be here this long. When I first got into town, I was operating under the assumption that I was just going to do my yearlong gig at the Ex@miner and then make a triumphant return to Atlanta. But, incidentally, I find D.C. to be much more interesting than Atlanta.

I decided to stay in D.C. for a reason that I shan't get into and of which am actually rather embarrassed. But suffice it to say that it was a matter of opportunity. Those of you that know me best know that I'm rather economical on my decision making. And the opportunity cost of leaving D.C. was greater than that of staying. Thus far, I don't regret it. Granted, some of my relationships with those back home have suffered or ceased completely, but such is life I suppose. I've also met so many people and forged so many relationships that it warranted sticking around. It takes me a while to get comfortable in a given environment, and I feel like I've just recently started feeling comfortable in D.C. We'll see what comes of that.

At any rate, that's enough self-indulgence for one night. My apologies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Oob said...

Yup, I hear you. I never thought I'd even entertain the idea of becoming rooted anywhere except the SE, but I find myself still up here and doing well. Same as you... just feeling like I have built a group of friends and happy in work. Congrats on deciding to stay and see where it takes you! :)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home