Tuesday, July 05, 2005

It's people like this...

From an e-mail I received at work:

It's funny how almost every single person who thinks that we should keep our troops occupying Iraq are people never personally effected by the tragedies of war. I am a military brat, born and bred both parents serving (Army/Air Force). I have an uncle who served in Afghanistan and who's serving in Iraq this very moment. His children aren't allowed to watch the news because when they hear that a soldier gets killed they fear it's their father. I'm 20 with friends in war to pay for college! You don't see the wounds and post-traumatic stress these soldiers suffer from when they come home. How dare Bush say this war is 'worth it' when his good-for-nothing girls are out getting drunk instead volunteering at Walter Reed or Bethesda like my friends and I! Chalk this up as a loss! We went after the wrong bad guy! Bring our troops home!

Like I said before. It's sad. Some people just don't get it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's not to get?
Maybe Michael Moore thought of it first, but it certainly seems a very valid arguement.

3:20 PM  
Blogger That guy said...

Since when is anything that Michael Moore says valid? Plus, I've already been over this.

But I understand that there are people who think being anti-war makes them sound intellectual and chic, but when you really examine it, they just sound moronic.

3:52 PM  
Blogger 2funny said...

the occupation of Iraq does seem to take on its own life. I keep forgetting the current reason we are there. Maybe those troops should commit to a specific period of time to stay in Iraq and not be forced to over stay their tours. I think there are some who would welcome the chance to stay there and others who would prefer to come home. Now all we need is a plan from the leadership.

4:37 PM  
Blogger That guy said...

You'd have a point if Michael Moore was arguing something abstract, but he wasn't.

He was arguing things like President Bush used Fox News to steal the election, that we invaded Afghanistan to make way for an oil pipeline that was never built, and that Iraq was some joyful place where children flew kites and played by the river. All of which are demonstrably false.

If he'd been arguing that war (or pedophelia) was wrong, it'd be one thing, because that's normative. But making positive statements that have no basis in reality does not constitute a valid argument.

By your logic, I can claim that you're a pedophile by 'manipulative filming techniques' and 'nonsensical statistics', and the MESSAGE would still be true, regardless of the actual facts.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I never said Moore was/is valid. I just observed the fact that he made the same point as the letter-writer, if more...publically.

My point in pointing that out (it was obvious, I digress; sorry) was simply this: I don't know whether you actually disagree with the letter-writer, or whether you disagree because Moore holds the same view? I'm not saying agree with anything he says-he is a radical-but this is a really good question. And has nothing to do with Fox News stealing the election, or whatever. Why don't politicians' children ever go to war? Especially this war? I'm all for that. What better reason to persuade parents to want their children to serve? If you know any examples, please share.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. That's all the response this dude needs.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home