Sunday, April 24, 2005

It's all about the little things

Knowing you're about to graduate college can be pretty depressing, which probably helps explain me quirky moods lately. I feel like I've spent 4 years of my life not really doing anything, not accomplishing anything, and I feel like I've missed a lot of chances.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized this wasn't really true. Granted, I've not really accomplished anything monumentous in my life, but there are a lot of little things I've done in my life that most people will never get to, and they're things that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I've played Carnegie Hall. It was pretty much empty, but hey, I can say I've performed on the same stage as the Beatles and a bunch of other famous people.

I've met the Chancellor of Germany and sat in his chair. The two events were two years apart, but happened none the less. Plus I only met the Chancellor for like 3 seconds. Apparently he's pretty important and had somewhere to be.

I've gotten my picture taken with Uga. The skin on his head is really loose. I'm convinced that if you pull it back, he looks like a chihuahua.

I've seen lightning from a plane. It's pretty incredible.

I've been on Bourbon Street in New Orleans at midnight on New Years Eve. Also pretty incredible, but for different reasons. I've never seen that many people in one place before in my life. Nor have I seen so many bare breasts in one place in my life.

I've jumped back and forth between the borders of East and West Germany, chanting 'Communism...Freedom...Communism...Freedom...' as I did it.

I caught an errant pass from David Greene during the Capitol One Bowl just before halftime. That was pretty cool.

I've met Senator Zell Miller, and he knew who I was. Not by name or anything, but he 'knew my work', as it were.

I won a $40,000 scholarship in a piano competition as a senior in high school but turned it down to go to Georgia. My piano teacher nearly killed me/ or had a stroke. I don't regret the decision at all.

I've stumbled drunk through Washington DC at 3 in the morning in December. Among other things, I licked an ice sculpture and Xeroxed my hand at a Kinko's. (There was a group of us, so it's not like I was alone. I still have the xerox.)

I've also stumbled drunk through Berlin and Braunschweig Germany. A lot of my memories involve drunk stumbling apparently.

I've also been to a Concentration Camp that someone I know personally was liberated from. There's nothing funny to say about that, but it's one of those things that you never forget. I don't think I've ever experienced so many emotions at once. Anyway. That could fill an entire blog post. Maybe some other time.

On that pleasant note, I'm going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home