Monday, April 17, 2006

Trusting the gut, Part I

It’s been a while since I’ve dealt with insomnia, but for whatever reason, this time it’s not so bad. Every now and then it’s nice to stare at the ceiling and pick my own brain ‘til the wee hours of the morning. Of course, I’m probably going to regret this when my alarm goes off, but I’ll enjoy it for the time being.

I have a tendency to make quick judgments on things and stick to them. Often I get a lot of flak for such seemingly rushed decisions, but after reading a book called “B|ink” my Ma|co|m G|adwell, I don’t feel so bad about it.

The human mind, specifically the subconscious mind, is and can be quite powerful. The subconscious mind especially has the ability to make quick decisions based on limited information. And I find, at least for me, it’s right more often than not...even when I don’t like to admit it.

I pride myself on having sensitive instincts. When I have a bad feeling about something, it usually bears out to be justified. Likewise, when I have a good feeling about something, it usually turns out to be justified as well.

Granted, there is a distinct difference between having a certain feeling and acting on it. In some of my more masochistic moments, I’ve knowingly acted against my instincts, my gut if you will, much to my own peril. I’ve also let various opportunities slide by me because I didn’t trust myself enough to follow my gut.

I’m starting to learn, however, that trusting my gut can be just as effective as agonizing over and incessantly analyzing an issue. This newfound knowledge is going to come in quite handy in the coming weeks as I yet again have to plan out of the rest of my life.

More on this later. I’m still picking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Tarvin said...

I also read and enjoyed that book. Isn't it nice that someone finally confirmed the "gut check" with science? Not that I needed someone to tell me that I'm right, of course.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home