Monday, February 06, 2006

There just aren't enough hours in the day

I have quite a few things I’ve been meaning to blog about, but I can’t seem to find the time to sit down and do it. So, here are the abridged versions of some of them. I hope to expland on them later.

First of all, the Superbowl last night. If I heard one more reference to Jerome Bettis “going home,” I was going to throw a beer bottle at the TV. Ok, so the Superbowl was in Detroit, which just happens to be his hometown. Whopee. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice story and all, but is it really necessary to mention it every three seconds? He rushed for 43 yards. Not exactly a major contributor. The only redeeming value of an otherwise lackluster game was that the MVP award went to a Georgia grad. Go Dawgs.

The commercials, I thought, were markedly improved over last year. The funniest one for my money was the first one where the employee hid Bud Light around the office as a ‘morale booster’ only to find the employees rioting and punching holes in the wall. The caveman kicking the little dinosaur was pretty giggle-worthy, and the shaved sheep streaking across the Bud Bowl was at least moderately humorous. The Diet Pepsi commercials were awful and the ad for the new Escalade was just confusing.

The Stones were pretty blah at half time. Mick Jagger is still disgusting, but proof of the fact that a guy can be disgusting but still be considered hot simply for being a musician. He’s also proof that a heroine addiction can make for one hell of a weight loss plan.

- Aside from the Superbowl, I’ve been meaning to talk about that anti-Bush rally I went to on Saturday where a group of hippies demanded that President Bush resign. You know, for once I agree with them. If President Bush were to resign, that would make Dick Cheney president; at which point every extreme leftist in the country would literally melt. Remember the last part of Raiders of the Lost Ark? It’d be pretty much the same thing.

- I’ve also been meaning to comment on the protests in the Muslim world over some cartoons published in September that show Mohammed, which is apparently some taboo thing in Islam.

I try to give the Muslim world the benefit of the doubt. I really do. They’re just not giving me a whole lot to work with. Strapping explosive to children and blowing up civilians? Apparently not taboo. Calling for the destruction of Israel? Just peachy. But some editorial cartoons published in a paper that no one in the region reads? Now that’s grounds for rioting, arson and calls for murder terrorism. Try following that logic.

- It’s been more than a year since I’ve started this blog. I’m finding that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Hmm.

At any rate, I’ll expand on these things later. That is, when I find the time and energy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home