Thursday, December 01, 2005

The 'war' on Christmas...?

Thanksgiving was last week, and that means that the so-called "Christmas season" has officially started. It also means that people are going to be getting pissed off that people are trying to 'steal' Christmas by saying 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas' and calling it a 'Holiday Tree' instead of a 'Christmas Tree' and spreading 'Generic, secular pleasantries' instead of 'Christmas cheer.'

Now, I don't have a whole lot to say on the idea of the 'war' on Christmas, because as many of you know, I'm in the vast minority of Americans that don't celebrate it. Which is exactly my point. I find it hard to believe that there's a 'war' going on when 80-90% of Americans celebrate the holiday.

Granted, there are some people that are pissed off at Christmas and want it removed from the public square, but they amount to little more than a group of drunk fat guys yelling 'Freebird!' at a county fair revue. And people should react accordingly...by rolling their eyes and shaking their heads.

When 80 percent of the country celebrates a holiday, as most of you do, you have the power to tell people like me to shove it. While I don't believe there's a 'war' against Christmas going on, I do think there's rampant political correctness in this country, coupled with a -- rather inordinate -- fear of offending people. Honestly, I find this mind-blowingly stupid.

I hate to be so repetitive, but 8 in 10 Americans celebrate the holiday. I'd venture a guess that 1 in 10 are like me and don't care if there's a 'Christmas tree' in front of the White House, because I find the idea of a 'Holiday Tree,' as I said, mind-blowingly stupid. I mean really, is there anyone who doesn't know EXACTLY which holiday it's referring to?

So, are we really that emasculated so as to allow 10 percent or less of the population to dictate whether or not a store is allowed to say 'Merry Christmas'? It seems that we are. Or, I guess I should say, you are. I have nothing to do with it. As far as I'm concerned, you can have the biggest friggin' tree you can find and plant it right in your front yard. And if you wanna double your electric bill by stringing 10,000 lights around it, be my guest. And if the Wal-Mart greeter wants to wish me a Merry Christmas, let him. Just don't be offended when all I do is smile and nod.

I've yet to have anyone crap on any of my crazy religious celebrations, so don't go crapping on your own on account of me or anyone else. You can call it a Christmas Tree, Christmas present, Christmas carol, whatever you like...you're not hurting or saving my feelings either way. And if someone does get offended, just roll your eyes and shake your head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home